Monday, February 25, 2008

Florence is Firenze

So sorry I haven’t written in a while. Returned a day and a half ago from Florence. That’s right…Florence, Italy.

We arrived in Florence the morning of the 20th. We had a very long bus ride that didn’t make the day all that wonderful to start off. However, we arrived around 9:30 am and began our tour of the city. We were taken to a very high point in the distance of the city so we could see everything from a hill top. It was magnificent. Took a tour of a church and then headed back to the bus so that we could be dropped off at out hotel.



Once we arrived and got settled we had a break for lunch. A few of my friends and I decided that we should take advantage of the food market that is located in the middle of the city center. It was a huge white building that had tons of different places to eat. We decided on a small sandwich place where the owner made 9 sandwiches in a matter of 5 minuets. It was one of the most amazing sandwiches that I have ever tasted. Fresh bread, salami, bacon, ham, sun-dried tomatoes, and vinegar and olive-oil. Then we walked around the market that is open every single day and headed back to the hotel. Then Filaberto took us on a few more tours of churches including the Duomo that resides in the actual center of the city. Or day concluded at a nice restaurant where we all enjoyed a slow food experience (slow food is when you sit for about 3 hours and eat and drink…tons of food and wine.)

The next morning we ascended the Duomo…worst staircase of my life! However, we were able to take some amazing pictures…as seen below…




We then continued our tour of the city…stopping in different churches and important buildings. We also took a tour of the museum that houses The David, one of the most amazing art sculptures of our time.

We had a break, so a few of my friends and I got some gelato and headed out shopping. We stumbled across the bridge and took some awesome photos...




The following morning was our last morning in Florence, so we took a tour of the Uffizi Art Museum. There we saw some amazing art, but the best was the Venus that graces so many books, including my Italian Language book cover.

Later on in the day 10 of my other friends and I departed for the city of Siena. There we spent sometime roaming the city and going to dinner for my friend Kacey’s 21st birthday. We happened to meet some very nice Italian 20 year old guys that sang to her some "Regional Songs" along with "Oh Happy Day." They were hilarious.

The next morning was the last day of my wonderful trip in the Tuscany Region. Matt, Mike, Allea and I went inside a church…yes…another church, but this one was amazing as seen below.






Finally our trip home included a 6 hour train ride, that varied on 4 different trains and many funny moments that would take me too long to dive into. Ask me about them when I get home







Miss you all!! And write to me!

Audrey Carlson
Via Crescimbeni, 5
62100 Macerata
Italy

I also love packages….

Audrey

1 comment:

mama said...

Another Amazing side trip!!! Gorgeous views..great food..fun with friends..who could ask for anything more?? Miss and Love YOU!!!
Mama