Thursday, April 3, 2008

When in Rome...

This past weekend I had my own “Roman Holiday”. We left early Friday morning to venture across the mountainous terrain of central Italy, into Rome. We arrive a little behind schedule, the bus ride took longer because of the horrendous traffic…you think Chicago is bad…Anyways, we got into to our hotel (I stayed with Whitney and my other friend Rachel.) We packed up and jumped on the metro…PS: there are only two metro lines in Rome…because ever time they would begin digging a new one…they would find more…stuff! Anyways, our first adventure took place in the Colosseum. It was amazing. I loved standing in a place where so much history had happened…over 2000 years ago. It’s remarkable that it’s still standing. Then we walked around the city a little more, took some pictures…(ask to see them when I get home...)


Then we left for the Mouth of Truth, however it closed so we just spent time wandering around and finally returned for our first group dinner. The food was amazing and it made all of us so sleepy that we went straight back to the hotel and went to bed.

Saturday, we woke up early and get ready for a very busy day. We first went to the Vatican and into St. Peter’s Cathedral. Climbed the dome and got an amazing view of Rome. Left the top of the cappela and ventured into the actual church. It was beautiful. Sadly though, the Pope didn’t greet us. He was taking a break after the Easter weekend, so he planned to address everyone by satellite on Sunday…so high-tech. After we finished up at there, Megan took me and a few of my friends to the BEST pizza place….yes, she had officially found the BEST pizza in all Italy, and I got to have some…actually 4 huge pieces to be exact. Then we met Filiberto later and went into the Vatican Museum, where I visited the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo said that he wasn’t a painter, well; I think that he was mistaken. It was the most impressive thing that I had seen since the David….which Mike also did. After the museum, we left to go back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. Again, dinner was amazing and I loved spending time with people that I don’t get to see all that often.

The next morning we ventured to the Pantheon. That was an incredible building and it’s amazing that it has survived for so many centuries. But, we only spent about and hour there, and after that we got free time for the rest of the day. My friends and I left for the Jewish area of Rome, where we stopped by a little bakery and got some of the best macaroons that I have ever tasted. Then we walked to the Mouth of Truth (I didn’t risk telling a lie…no point…Gregory Peck already did it), and then we went to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. The Trevi Fountain was probably my favorite thing is Rome. This immaculate fountain built into a side of a building…incredible. We then headed back to the Colosseum and laid out for a while just soaking in the Roman Sun. Did some shopping for friends and family and then headed back to board our train home.

Rome was amazing. I hope that I will be able to return one day. Well…I know that I will…I threw a coin over my LEFT shoulder into the Trevi Fountain to assure my return….psyched!

Love you all!
Audrey

No comments: